Conference Forms and Timeline 2018
DLA Conference Committee planning meeting
Thursday, July 27 at 11:30 am to 1:00 pm
Dover Public Library (upstairs in the Conference Room)
Meeting notes are coming soon!
Contact Michelle Hughes or Cathay Keough if you have any questions.
Conference Theme: “Evolve”
Instructions: Make sure to download to your computer, fill it out and save. Then email it to Cathay Keough and Michelle Hughes.
The following forms will be updated soon. Last year’s timeline and forms will remain here until updated to give you a basic understanding of what’s coming up!
July-August: Finalize workshop ideas; Division, Group and Committee conference chairs, run these by the DLA Conference Committee Chair and Executive Director.
September: Submit your ideas to Division VP/Conference Committee Chairs to make sure they contain key ingredients, such as learning objectives and a program planner, speaker/presenter names, and a description of your workshop.
- Learning Objectives: See Guidelines for Writing Learning Objectives.
- Program Planner? What’s that?! This is the designated support person who is responsible for the logistics of the program or workshop. It is not the speaker or presenter, but rather a person who helps speakers feel comfortable and have everything in place so they can focus on their talk or workshop. Program planners submit the forms, gain speaker permissions for publicity, work with their Division and the DLA Conference Committee to handle any proposed fees, and make sure the speaker has food, lodging (if they are from outside of Maryland and Delaware), travel, etc. During the conference, program planners are the designated person who picks up the program packet from the MLA office (on conference location in a suite); this contains blank surveys to be filled out by workshop attendees, a notice of any announcements to be made, a check for the speaker, a certificate for the speaker, and CEU certificates for attendees who complete the survey and turn them in to the program planner at the end of the workshop. Not everyone needs a CEU certificate but sometimes it’s just a nice thing to have.
By October 1:
Workshop Proposals/Preliminary Approval Forms for DLA are due October 1 to the DLA Conference Committee Chair. He/She will review and submit to MLA’s office for final approval by MLA’s deadline. Final approval of workshops by MLA/DLA happens by mid-November.
By October 28:
Internal and External Speaker Agreement Forms are due by October 28 to the DLA Conference Committee Chair and Executive Director. They will review and submit to MLA’s office for final approval by MLA’s deadline.
- Internal Speakers are those who are from Maryland and Delaware (they do not qualify for an overnight hotel stay or mileage stipend).
- External speakers are persons who come to the conference from outside of Maryland and Delaware (they are provided with one night’s lodging and mileage).
These forms must be signed by presenters/speakers along with the title and a brief description of the workshop (for the brochure and to publicize it). They are putting in writing that they are committed to speaking at the conference. At the same time, work on publicity (see below).
By October 28:
Publicity Forms are due by October 28 to the DLA Conference Committee Chair and Executive Director. This form allows us to put their photo on the conference brochure, obtain a final title and a brief description so that we can publicize their workshop through the conference publications, social media, etc. Get a nice head shot!
Two more forms are due by the middle of December. These are the Audio/Visual forms and, if needed, Book Order Forms (for those who are selling their books).
During this process of proposing workshops and gathering forms, we’ll also need:
- the Awards/Scholarships names
- Poster Proposals
- Silent Auction submissions
- volunteers to help at the conference
- any other announcements that will be going in the conference brochure.
The conference brochure is finalized by the end of the calendar year and is published online by mid- to end-of-January. Early bird registration is a discounted rate and usually ends around mid-March.
If you have questions or any inquiries, please feel free to contact the DLA Conference Committee Chair and Cathay Keough.
The Delaware Library and Maryland Library Associations first partnered in 2012 to provide a joint state conference. Our Associations mutually support the desires of our members to provide high quality workshops, presentations and speakers at an event that can be enjoyed by all library staff, administrators and supporters. The more involved each DLA Divisions and members are, the more relevant we make it. Truly there is something for everyone at our annual conference.
Each Division will provide at least one workshop (and are encouraged to submit two or three proposals) and a silent auction donation at the conference. Committees are encouraged to provide workshops as well.
Ideally, every Delaware library staff person, administrator, trustee and supporter who wants to be involved with the conference will feel welcome to do so. Perhaps your group would like to help with the silent auction or hold a poster session? There are many ways to be involved.