Charlesa Lowell Scholarship
Charlesa Lowell served as the Kent County Librarian, Delaware Division of Libraries Deputy Director, and the Library Manager of the Newark Free Library. Among her many successes were the creation of Delaware Library Legislative Day and the Friends of Delaware Libraries. The Charlesa Lowell Scholarship is awarded in her memory by the Friends of the Newark Free Library.
More information about this award and past recipients can be found at: http://www.friendsofthenewarkfreelibrary.webs.com/scholarships.htm
The amount for this scholarship may vary each year based on availability of funds. The scholarship amount that will be awarded for 2017 is $1200.
A student studying for an ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science. Some preference will be given to those applicants who are working or have worked at the Newark Free Library, Delaware, or lacking such an applicant, those who live in Newark, Delaware.
December 1, 2016
- Completed application form — Scholarship Application Form
- Final transcript from institution awarding baccalaureate degree.
- Proof of acceptance into an ALA-accredited graduate program.
- Transcript of graduate courses already completed (if applicable)
- Narrative statement of 500 words or fewer, including:
- Specific documentation citing active participation in professional library organizations, library school activities, volunteer and work experiences, and any other related activities.
- Personal philosophy of librarianship.
- Personal future goals in the field of librarianship.
Molly Olney-Zide, Chair, DLA Scholarships, Awards, & Citations Committee
University of Delaware Library
181 S. College Avenue Newark, DE 19711
Phone: (302) 831-0869
Helen H. Bennett Scholarship
Linda Walge Penman Scholarship
Grace Estelle Wheeless Scholarship
DLA Awards and Citations