Responsibilities: Under the general supervision of the Adult Services Manager, employee will be
expected to provide knowledgeable and welcoming customer to the public while serving the
general public through library resources and programs. This includes registering library cards,
searching for and retrieving needed library materials, cleaning library materials, filling out
necessary forms, checking materials in and out, entering data into the computer system, sorting
and shelving library materials, assisting patrons with computers, faxing and copying.
Skills & Abilities:
• Honesty, Integrity, and the ability to work as a part of a team
• Telephone etiquette
• Basic computer skills
• Excellent customer service skills
• Knowledgeable of email systems
• Proficient with Google, Gmail and Google Docs
• Comfortable generally using Microsoft Word
• Adaptable to changing systems and technologies
• An interest in grant writing
• Register patrons for library cards, and replacing lost cards
• Cleaning library materials
• Checking items for quality, condition, and missing pieces
• Filling out necessary forms for damaged or incomplete items
• Checking materials in and out
• Entering data into the computer system
• Sorting and shelving library materials
• Assisting patrons with computers, printing, wireless printing, copying, and faxing
• Following library procedures for opening and closing each day
• Packing and unpacking transit
• Reserving study and conference rooms
• Help with displays, programs, and outreach
• Assisting in the training of new staff
• Answering the phone and calling patrons directly
• Answering questions in person and over the phone for any and all general inquiries for
information, directions, events, local resources, and library services
• Collect fines/fees, including cash, check, and credit card, which requires using the credit
• Search for materials, place holds for patrons, and retrieve holds off of the holds lists
• Read and shift shelves as needed to keep the library organized and visually appealing
• Keep work area stocked, organized, and clean
• Modify patrons records as needed
• Run the holds list and other reports
• Mail, email, or call to notify patrons of overdue notices
• Multi-task, and prioritize duties
• Other duties include: Assisting the Children’s Library and Teen Center when needed
1. Sitting, kneeling, standing, walking, climbing stairs and stooping.
2. Talking and hearing; including using the telephone while wearing a mask.
3. Far vision at 20 feet or further; near vision at 20 inches or less.
4. Lifting and carrying up to 25 pounds, handling, processing, reading, and shelving books.
5. Pushing and pulling objects weighing 50 pounds on a book cart.
6. Mobility: travel to meetings and programs outside the library.
1. Communication skills; both written and oral
2. Ability to comprehend and follow instructions with minimal oversight.
3. Time management skills; set priorities and meet assigned deadlines.
4. Ability to read and understand work related materials, possibly in the form of an email
5. Ability to sort alphabetically and numerically
6. Ability to follow and respect the policies of the library
7. Ability to safeguard the library materials
8. Ability to maintain the confidentiality of patron and library information
Education and experience:
1. High school diploma required. College degree preferred.
2. Experience working in a public library environment preferred. Keyboarding and computer
Anticipated salary is $11 an hour; final wages are determined by library board of directors and are
negotiable depending on qualifications & experience.
To apply: attach resume and cover letter to an email with the subject “Application for Library Assistant Position” and send to Milford.Library AT lib.de.us. Apply before end of the day April 9, 2021.