Library Assistant Position Description
Responsibilities: Under the general supervision of the Adult Services Manager, employee will be expected to provide knowledgeable and welcoming customer service to the public while serving the general public through library resources and programs. This includes registering library cards, searching for and retrieving needed library materials, cleaning library materials, filling out necessary forms, checking materials in and out, entering data into the computer system, sorting and shelving library materials, assisting patrons with computers, faxing and copying.
Skills & Abilities
• Honesty, Integrity, and the ability to work as a part of a team
• Telephone etiquette
• Basic computer skills
• Excellent customer service skills
• Work 2 Saturdays a month
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Knowledgeable of email systems
• Proficient with Google, Gmail and Google Docs
• Comfortable generally using Microsoft Word
• Adaptable to changing systems and technologies
• An interest in grant writing
• Additional Education such as an associate degree
• Speaking and/or writing in Spanish and/or Creole
• Registering patrons for library cards, and replacing lost cards
• Cleaning library materials
• Checking items for quality, condition, and missing pieces
• Filling out necessary forms for damaged or incomplete items
• Checking materials in and out
• Entering data into the computer system
• Sorting and shelving library materials
• Assisting patrons with computers, printing, wireless printing, copying, and faxing
• Following library procedures for opening and closing each day
• Packing and unpacking transit
• Reserving study and conference rooms
• Helping with displays, programs, and outreach
• Assisting in the training of new staff
• Answering the phone and calling patrons directly
• Answering questions in person and over the phone for any and all general inquiries for information, directions, events, local resources, and library services
• Collecting fines/fees, including cash, check, and credit card, which requires using the credit card machine and the cash register
• Searching for materials, place holds for patrons, and retrieve holds off of the holds lists
• Reading and shifting shelves as needed to keep the library organized and visually appealing
• Keeping work area stocked, organized, and clean
• Modifying patrons records as needed
• Running the holds list and other reports
• Mailing, emailing, or calling to notify patrons of overdue notices
• Multi-tasking and prioritizing duties
• Other duties, including assisting the Children’s Library and Teen Center when needed
• Working in a stationary position for long periods.
• Traversing stairs and ladders when needed.
• Reaching high and low for library materials.
• Communicate and exchange information using the telephone and in person.
• Ability to assess details at 20 feet or further; near vision at 20 inches or less.
• Ability to transport up to 50 pounds of materials.
• Processing, reading, and shelving books.
• Typing, writing, and filing.
• Pushing and pulling objects weighing 60-80 pounds on a book cart.
• Mobility: travel to meetings and programs outside the library.
• Communication skills; both written and oral
• Comprehending and follow instructions with minimal oversight
• Time management skills; set priorities and meet assigned deadlines
• Reading and understanding work related materials, possibly in the form of an email
• Sorting alphabetically and numerically
• Following and respecting the policies of the library
• Safeguarding the library materials
• Maintaining the confidentiality of patron and library information
Anticipated salary ranging from $13.50-15.00 per hour; final wages are determined by library board of directors and are negotiable depending on qualifications & experience.
The Milford Public Library has an open position for a part-time Library Assistant. Please apply through Indeed if interested.