Principal Library Assistant
NEW CASTLE COUNTY GOVERNMENT
invites applications for the position of:
PRINCIPAL LIBRARY ASSISTANT (Pay Grade 17) AFSCME LOCAL 1607
||$34,562.00 – $53,621.00 Annually
||04/20/21 11:59 PM
|In accordance with the Merit System Rules and Regulations, an eligible list, which will be valid for a one-year period and which will be used to fill vacancies during that period, is being established for this classification. Applicants on the eligible list will be certified in accordance with the Merit System and appropriate union contracts.
Candidates may submit online employment applications using the NEOGOV online application system available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nccde.
EXAMINATION PROCESS: The examination process for this posting may include an evaluation of training and experience, a written examination, a computerized exam, an oral board interview examination, a performance examination or any combination of the above in order to qualify applicants for placement on the eligible list. The eligible list will be used to fill vacancies that occur within the next year. The appropriate number of names on the eligible list as prescribed by Merit System Section 26.03.505 will be certified to the hiring department for consideration to fill the vacant position(s).
New employees are generally hired at the starting salary and may be eligible for merit increases each year upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation, up to the maximum salary.
New Castle County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
|GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs technical work within an automated library system pertaining to circulation of materials; performs supervisory duties as necessary; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class directs activities and workflow at the circulation desk. The employee trains and supervises the part-time circulation desk staff. This employee supervises the use of the automated circulation system in the facility. The work is performed under the general supervision of a professional librarian.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Oversees circulation activities and all circulation desk operations;
- Oversees maintenance of circulation and collection records and statistics and generates reports;
- Oversees procedures for issuing and receiving all items loaned to customers, including reserves, inter-system, and intra-system loans;
- Charges out and checks in all library materials;
- Maintains procedures manual and updates as necessary;
- Interprets and explains circulation policies to the public and to the staff;
- As liaison with Technical Services, responsible for reporting database problems and errors to Technical Services;
- Schedules circulation desk staff;
- Supervises part-time staff and sets up work schedules;
- Participates in the selection process to fill part-time positions;
- Trains personnel in library routines;
- Participates in activities of library organizations and attends training courses to upgrade skills and to keep informed of current trends and enhanced automated techniques;
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
- Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Good knowledge of library records and circulation procedures and operations; experience with a personal computer and other related equipment; ability to maintain records and make reports; ability to follow complex written and oral instructions; ability to accomplish detailed work with a high level of accuracy; ability to work without direct supervision and to devise solutions to problems; ability to supervise the work of subordinates; ability to communicate courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: At least two (2) years of public library experience, one (1) of which should have been within an automated library system, and possession of a high school diploma or GED; or an equivalent combination of experience, education or training directly related to the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must pass a Class III County physical examination and a background check. CONTACT INFORMATION: Laura McDermott
Office of Human Resources
Laura.McDermott AT newcastlede.gov
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
PRINCIPAL LIBRARY ASSISTANT (PAY GRADE 17) AFSCME LOCAL 1607
87 Reads Way
New Castle, DE 19720
jacquelyn.moore AT newcastlede.gov
|PRINCIPAL LIBRARY ASSISTANT (Pay Grade 17) AFSCME LOCAL 1607 Supplemental Questionnaire
||Do you have at least two (2) years of public library experience, one (1) of which is within an automated library system? A public library is defined as follows: a library that is accessible to the general public and funded by tax dollars. If yes, please describe in detail.
||Do you possess a high school diploma or GED?
|| Yes No
|* Required Question
Posted: April 9, 2021