|GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs technical and clerical tasks related to library work within an automated library system; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class performs work primarily at the circulation desk, checking materials in and out. This employee may also perform a wide variety of collateral duties. Work is performed under the supervision of a professional librarian. Employees in this class may be required to take special training courses in library routines and should be expected to perform tasks of progressively increasing difficulty as their careers develop. This employee may also supervise the work of part-time staff.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
– Charges out and checks in all library materials with the use of an automated circulation system;
– Enters complete and accurate data base information for borrowers;
– Collects fines and may make bank deposits when necessary;
– Fills out error forms for data base errors;
– Performs item maintenance on database;
– Explains library procedures and policies to customers;
– Processes orders and prepares invoices for payment;
– Reviews and prepares materials for use;
– Maintains personnel leave and attendance records and prepares time entry reports;
– Participates in activities of library organizations and attends training courses to upgrade skills and informed of current trends and enhanced automated techniques;
– Maintains inventory of supplies and resources;
– May assist readers in locating books, periodicals, and other materials;
– May prepare reports;
– May service library deposit collections;
– May assist in making book displays, library signs, notices and pamphlets;
– May conduct programs for children and adults;
– In Technical Services, catalogs print materials using a bibliographic utility;
– May supervise part-time staff;
– May participate in the selection process for part-time positions;
– Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal
– Customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
– Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Some knowledge of and an interest in libraries; some knowledge of clerical procedures and practices; ability to operate a personal computer and other related equipment; ability to provide leadership to support staff; ability to keep records and make reports; willingness to learn library techniques; ability to communicate courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: At least (2) two years of work experience in a public library and possession of a high school diploma or GED.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must pass a Class III County physical examination and a background check.