Director, Library and Learning Resources
Job title: Director, Library and Learning Resources
Location: Prince George’s Community College, Largo, MD
Apply By: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled
Prince George’s Community College is proud to boast of a multi-talented and diverse workforce as well as offering a competitive benefits package and services that will add to your potential and work/life balance. We are looking to attract and retain individuals who are committed to helping our students succeed. In return, you will find PGCC an exciting place to work and grow.
Job Description Summary:
The Director, Library and Learning Resources assumes administrative responsibility for the operation of the College’s Library and Learning Resources (LLR), consisting of the Library, English Lab, Mathematics Learning Center, and the Tutoring and Writing Centers, in support of the needs of credit and continuing education students. Leads in the exploration and adoption of innovations in library and tutoring services and in new methods of resource and service delivery. Leads efforts to inspire and encourage participation by departments and recruit faculty to develop, adopt, and/or assess open educational resources. Establishes appropriate liaison relationships with internal and external partners. Guides LLR participation in the strategic planning process. Develops and manages human, programmatic, and fiscal resources in support of the missions of LLR and the College.
- Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science, or equivalent, from an ALA accredited program.
- Minimum of three years of progressive management and supervisory knowledge and experience.
- Minimum of five years’ supervisory experience in an academic library, preferably at a community college.
- Experience managing large projects, including documented grant experience.
- Experience in outreach and collaboration regarding open education, open textbooks, open access, copyright and intellectual property with faculty and students.
- Experience with evaluating an Intergraded Library System/library management system (ILS/LMS), and working with vendors through the procurement process.
- Training or experience in instructional design principles, pedagogy, curriculum development, assessment, teaching with technology, and learning management systems.
- Experience with developing strategic plans and maintaining budgets.
The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be interviewed. Other information and observations made during the interview process may be considered in the selection process. Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application. Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed below for this position.
- Knowledge of the philosophy and techniques of college library and tutoring services.
- Knowledge of college library materials and resources.
- Knowledge of issues in open education, open textbooks, open access, copyright and intellectual property.
- Knowledge of instructional and/or curriculum design in higher educational settings and implications for online teaching.
- Knowledge of the challenges facing the library field in the 21st century.
- Skilled in creating and implementing college library programs and services.
- Ability to think analytically and to develop new or revised systems, procedures, and work flow.
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and present ideas clearly and concisely in written and oral form.
- Ability to make administrative decisions, interpret policies, and supervise staff.
- Ability to motivate, establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, faculty, administrators, and other community agencies and the public.
- Ability to coordinate the work of diverse people in multiple departments with differing personalities.
- Ability to articulate a vision to move the Library forward.
- Ability to lead, motivate, and support teams to work collaboratively.
- Ability to work with diverse college units and external partners.
- Ability to understand barriers presented to students, including issues of functional, media, information, and technological literacy.
- Must be able to work Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Work schedule subject to change based on department needs.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written standard English.
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Background Check Statement: Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
To review posting and apply for this position: https://pgcc.peopleadmin.com/hr/postings/9011.
Visit our website at www.pgcc.edu.
Submit a cover letter of interest, a detailed resume listing qualifications and experience. Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience, with specific reference to each of the minimum qualification and criteria listed because this is the information on which the initial review of materials will be based.
We support and embraces cultural diversity, understood as the creation and promotion of an inclusive, non-discriminatory environment for everyone. We accept and value differences, including differences in age, race, national origin, ethnicity, religious affiliation, political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic background, and ability/disability. We strive for growth and success for all of our students, employees, business partners, and the community.