Head of Children Services Librarian
Job #20210924 : Head of Children Services Librarian (Full Time)
The Allentown Public Library is seeking a full-time (35 hours per week) Head of
Children Services Librarian. This Department Head will work with the library staff
to create opportunities to engage the community and build relationships with
The Allentown Public Library’s mission is to serve everyone, connecting the public
to life-long learning experiences and open access to resources. We are a
community hub for cultural enrichment.
This position requires flexibility, an aptitude for collaboration, excellent
communication skills and the ability to identify priorities. In order to fulfill APL’s
mission, we require a professional with a positive attitude, enthusiasm, and
excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- The position includes some evening and weekend (Saturday) hours. Also
included are paid holidays, generous allowances for personal and vacation
time, excellent health and retirement benefits and the option of employee paid eye and dental benefits. Salary range for this position is $50K to $55K for MLS degree holders, based on qualifications and experience.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Directs and supervises the operations of the children’s library services;
makes assignments to staff; trains and evaluates staff.
- Coordinates children’s operations with other library departments and
functions, develops programs and services to meet specific needs of
- Evaluates materials and services and assists in the selection of materials for
- Provides reference service to children and teachers and provides reader’s
- Works with the District Consultant Librarian and the Bureau of Library
Development to disseminate information and provide continuing
education opportunities to local libraries
- An ALA accredited MLS in Library Science/Information Science
- Minimum of 3 years experience working with children and young adults
- Demonstrates supervisory skills
- Behaves in a professional manner
- Actively cooperates and works effectively with others, promotes teamwork,
shares information and works to resolve conflicts
In accordance with PA Department of Human Services guidelines, all prospective
employees must be able to provide following documents before starting
employment. Once employed, all employees are required to submit updated
copies of each document every sixty (60) months:
- PA State Criminal Record Check (Section 1-111 of the Pennsylvania School
Code – Act 34)
- Child Abuse Clearance (Sections 6354-6358 of the Public Welfare Code –
- FBI Federal Criminal Background Check
Applications received by September 24 will receive priority.
How to Apply
Allentown Public Library
Job #/Job Title
1210 Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA 18102
allentownlibraryjobs AT gmail.com
Please include the JOB# and Job Title in the subject line of all email, or on
the front of the mailing envelope.