Law Librarian/Self-Help Center Coordinator (Short-Term Contract)
ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE OF THE COURTS
SHORT-TERM CONTRACT POSITION
LAW LIBRARIAN/SELF-HELP CENTER COORDINATOR
Opening Date: Oct. 15, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled
Salary: hourly rate $20-$25 (based on experience) *
Weekly Hours: 25 to 30 hours per week
Contract term: Dec. 13, 2021 to Feb. 24, 2022
Recruiting For: Leonard L. Williams Justice Center Law Library
Location: Wilmington, DE
*Hourly rate applicable for this position is based upon the qualifications of the individual applicant.
The law library and self-help center located in the Leonard L. Williams Justice Center, Wilmington, DE, is open to legal professionals (including judges) and self-represented individuals seeking to consult the library’s legal collection. The Law Librarian/Self-Help Center Coordinator is responsible for maintaining the law library’s collection; assisting library patrons and self-represented individuals with their questions; and providing support for the Justice Center’s weekly limited legal representation program. Daily duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting patrons in finding and using print and digital resources;
- Referring patrons to appropriate court agencies and legal aid/social service
- Taking Supreme Court Appeals for pro se litigants;
- Scanning and emailing sections of print materials for judicial officers and their clerks,
the other law librarians, and members of the public;
- Taking payment for copies, printouts and Supreme Court Appeals;
- Maintaining statistics on law library usage;
- Updating books with new loose-leaf releases and pocket part supplements as they
The Coordinator’s position will be temporarily vacant from December 13, 2021 to February 24, 2022 and an independent contractor is needed during this time period.
1. Bachelor’s degree or higher in Library and Information Science, English, Education, Computer Science or related field OR a paralegal certificate.
2. Knowledge of the professional use of a legal research collection.
3. Knowledge of the basic principles of administrative and technical library management.
4. Six months experience performing legal research and applying legal terminology.
5. Knowledge of computer information systems including automated legal research systems.
6. Ability to communicate courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
7. Demonstrate knowledge of the distinction between providing legal information and giving legal advice.
Conditions of Employment:
- A satisfactory criminal background check.
- Execution of a contract.
- Direct deposit of paychecks is required as a condition of employment.
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should submit a letter of interest and resume by any one of the formats listed below. Resumes and letters of interest will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. NOTE: November 1, 2021 at 11:59pm is the first closing date for this job posting.
1. Send your letter of interest and resume as an e-mail attachment with the words “Law Librarian” in the e-mail’s subject line to: apps.aoc AT delaware.gov
2. Mail your application to:
Administrative Office of the Courts
Attn: Human Resources
The Renaissance Centre
405 N. King Street, Suite 507
Wilmington, DE 19801
3. Fax your application to: (302) 255-2482, Attention: Human Resources