Technical Services Supervisor
Technical Services Supervisor
37.5 hours per week
$57,934 annually plus benefits
Location: Library Administrative Offices in New Windsor, MD
CCPL Commitment to Quality Service:
At Carroll County Public Library, superior customer service is core to everything we do. This position ensures CCPL customers have the best experience possible no matter how they choose to contact us or what service they require. We take customer service seriously and this position is essential to our success.
Under the direction of the Collection Development Manager, you will oversee and manage the efficient operations and activities of the Technical Services Department; supervise assigned staff; serve as head cataloger, and perform other duties as assigned.
- Supervises and/or performs the cataloging, classification, and physical processing of all library materials (physical and digital);
- Supervises, schedules, trains, coaches, and evaluates the work of assigned staff including review and approval of timesheets;
- Monitors department workflow and sets goals and objectives;
- Creates original bibliographic records according to standard cataloging procedures as needed;
- Under the direction of the Collection Development Manager, identifies ways to improve and increase efficiencies in providing materials to customers in a timely manner;
- Responsible for the quality and accuracy of the library’s Public Access Catalog including maintenance of records, verification of information, consistency of records and procedures, and constant review and evaluation of records and edits as needed;
- Responsible for staying current with changes to cataloging standards and database record formats;
- Takes all necessary steps to ensure an accurate and up-to-date catalog;
- Resolves issues and problems with database;
- Creates catalog records for new materials, including editing all bibliographic fields, assigning a Dewey number consistent with CCPL guidelines and current standards, and transferring records into Integrated Library System (Polaris);
- Maintains vendor records;
- Merges on-order record into correct bibliographic record when necessary;
- Loads MARC records provided from library electronic resource vendors such as OverDrive, Hoopla, etc.;
- Trains staff in standard cataloging and processing procedures of library materials;
- Notifies system of systemwide cataloging and call number changes;
- Supervises the receiving of all deliveries at Headquarters (UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc.);
- Monitors department substitute budget;
- Participates in meetings, teams/committees/workgroups, outreach activities and training opportunities, as appropriate;
- Participates in the Carroll Library Partnership and works with local partners to maintain a consistent database; and,
- Performs other duties as instructed and assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited program, two (2) or more years professional cataloging experience, and two or more years of supervisory experience; OR,
- Equivalent Degree, six (6) or more years professional cataloging experience, and two or more years of supervisory experience.
How to Apply:
To apply or for more information about Carroll County Public Library and the position, please visit our website https://library.carr.org/careers/careers.aspx. Online applications must be received by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, November 30, 2022.
Carroll County Public Library highly encourages applicants to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire.