|In accordance with the Merit System Rules and Regulations, an eligible list, which will be valid for a one-year period and which will be used to fill vacancies during that period, is being established for this classification. Applicants on the eligible list will be certified in accordance with the Merit System and appropriate union contracts.
Candidates may submit online employment applications using the NEOGOV online application system available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nccde.
EXAMINATION PROCESS: The examination process for this posting may include an evaluation of training and experience, a written examination, a computerized exam, an oral board interview examination, a performance examination or any combination of the above in order to qualify applicants for placement on the eligible list. The eligible list will be used to fill vacancies that occur within the next year. The appropriate number of names on the eligible list as prescribed by Merit System Section 26.03.505 will be certified to the hiring department for consideration to fill the vacant position(s).
New employees are generally hired at the starting salary and may be eligible for merit increases each year upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation, up to the maximum salary.
New Castle County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
|GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs paraprofessional reference and information services within an automated library system; may perform technical work related to acquisitions, cataloging of materials, and data base maintenance; may perform supervisory duties when necessary; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class performs high level paraprofessional reference and reader advisory services in all formats: print, audio-visual, or electronic. May also perform technical work related to the acquisition of materials, cataloging, and data base maintenance. An employee in this class may be required to take in-service training to increase information or technology skills. This employee exercises supervision over part-time support staff. Work is performed under the general supervision of a professional Librarian. In the absence of a Librarian, this employee may be required to perform the duties of that class for a limited period of time.
- Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work;
- May assist and train staff and the public in the use of technology;
- Maintains information statistics and prepares reports;
- May supervise part-time community services workers (library pages and aides);
- May participate in the selection process for part-time positions;
- Participates in activities of library organizations and attends training courses to enhance skills and to keep informed of current trends;
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
- Participates in both internal and external system-wide projects.
Additional Examples of Duties When Working in Reference:
- Provides reference and information services for customers;
- Prepares specialized reference files;
- Oversees interlibrary loan activity and procedures;
- Schedules appropriate staff for information desk coverage;
- Reviews and recommends materials for inclusion in collection;
- Plans and conducts programs for children and adults;
- Interprets and explains library procedures and policies to customers.
Additional Examples of Duties When Working in Acquisitions in Technical Services:
- Processes orders and invoices in an automated system under the supervision of a Librarian I;
- Maintains internal accounting of materials and budget expenditures for each library or service unit within the system;
- Monitors performance of vendors and reports status to Librarian I;
- Works closely with the purchasing and finance areas to resolve purchase order and invoice discrepancies and to expedite the acquisition of materials;
- Oversees the maintenance of records and statistics of library acquisitions;
- Maintains personnel leave and attendance records and prepares time entry reports.
Additional Examples of Duties When Working in Processing in Technical Services:
- Oversees processing of books and other materials under the supervision of a Librarian I;
- Performs original cataloging of print and non-print materials using a bibliographic utility;
- Maintains data base by responding to error reports and performing authority work;
- Maintains inventory of all cataloging and processing supplies;
- Provides support for automation procedures and problems by responding to calls from the libraries and acting as trouble shooter, referring problems to supervisors when necessary, training staff, and assisting in maintaining system documentation;
- Oversees maintenance of records and statistics of cataloging and processing;
- Verifies, searches, and orders inter-library loan material for library users, and determines best borrowing locations due to cost limits, time constraints, and lending libraries’ policies.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Good knowledge of library principles, methods, techniques, and procedures; knowledge of reader interest levels; familiarity with basic accounting and budget practices; familiarity with book and serials jobbers and their products; ability to maintain records and make reports; willingness to learn new procedures; ability to work independently and to prioritize duties; ability to communicate courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing; ability to interpret questions and information requests; good interpersonal skills, both in-person, on the telephone, and in writing; ability to work effectively with the public and staff; ability to operate a personal computer and other keyboard equipment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: At least one (1) year public library experience and possession of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must pass a Class III County physical examination and background check.